Tuesday, February 15, 2005

The Enchanted Cottage

Yesterday I shared a quote about love from one of my very favorite movies, The Enchanted Cottage. Released in 1945, it stars Robert Young and Dorothy McGuire. My favorite quote from the movie is:

A man and woman in love have a gift of sight not granted to other people.

Here are a few tidbits about the movie from the Turner Classic Movie website:

Robert Young told Leonard Maltin…that he considered The Enchanted Cottage to be "the best love story that's ever been written. [It] was one of those films I hated to see end. I wanted it to go on and on and on. It was such a joy to do."

Anyone who has ever been in love can relate to the sensation that one's partner becomes more beautiful as one's love deepens.
The Enchanted Cottage illustrates this phenomenon to full and lovely effect.

Young loved this picture so much that…later he named the home he built in California "The Enchanted Cottage."

This is a hard movie to find! It is out of print and none of our local rental places carry it. Every time I want to see it I have to do an interlibrary request from a library over an hour away! One of these days I will buy one on eBay or Amazon, but they usually are very pricey since it is rare. I keep hoping it will come out in DVD, but it hasn't yet.

That’s all I want to tell you about the movie, because to share any of the plot would really ruin the movie for you. But if you can find it, rent it! It is well worth a watch! Keep the hankies handy and be prepared to be blessed with an encouraging message!

3 comments:

Gretchen Louise said...

I just watched it, per your recommendation... Wow, what a beautiful movie! Thank you so much for your review.

Sallie Borrink said...

Gretchen -

So glad you could find a copy and enjoyed it! Now you can see why it is one of my favorites and I didn't want to give any of the plot away.

Sallie

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you. Enchanted Cottage is one of my all time favourite movies! I have told so many friends to see it if they can as it's so lovely. I think it even has a "parable" quality about it in relation to Jesus and His Bride. We share a vision of each other that can only be experienced through a mystical love and whoever does not love Him cannot possibly "see" Him as He really is !
Thank you for bringing back lovely memories of this story.
God bless,
Trish