Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Simple Living - staying home and doing less

Today is one of those days that I would describe as absolutely cozy. My husband and I have hunkered down in the living room with our work (we work at home) and there are large, fluffy lazy snowflakes floating down. We took a brief walk earlier this morning (during which time I had fireplace-envy because I could smell a fire coming from someone’s house and we don’t have a fireplace). After several challenging weeks, I’m feeling quite a bit better and I am just so thankful to be home. In fact I have been home since Saturday afternoon when I ventured out for a prescription. And to tell you the truth, I haven't missed not going anywhere. Life is good. Only one problem…

I have to go to the grocery store today. I told my husband over lunch I would gladly pay someone to go get my groceries for me if it meant I could just stay home and be cozy. But that isn’t going to be the case so at some point we’ll venture out.

In the meantime, as I took a link to a link to a link, I came across a blog entry somewhere else that I would like to share with you. It is called Simple Living: stay home. How timely. I have never met the person who writes this blog (Rick Saenz), but I have heard him speak many times on the Basement Tapes, which I mentioned in a previous entry. What he has to say in this entry is so simple, but it is so radical for most couples and/or families today.

I have really wanted to write about this topic since also reading Amy’s Humble Musing from the other day (see her March 12 entry - Chasing the wind) that is in a roundabout way related to what Rick wrote. When I have done classes/seminars on “Calling vs. Clutter: The Joy of a Deliberate Life”, these themes have been a big part of our discussion. We had some incredibly honest and thoughtful discussion when I taught this class twice at a church that is in one of the most affluent areas here in town.

So, I’ll let you read what Rick and Amy have to say about a couple of topics and then I’ll be back sometime soon to add my two cents…

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Amy said...

Wow. Linking Rick's and my thoughts in the same blog...the same paragraph...the same sentence: I. Have. Arrived.

Sallie Borrink said...

Amy,

Glad I could add to your day and announce your "official" a..r..r..i..v..a..l!

Happy blogging!
Sallie