Tuesday, May 10, 2005

I'm still standing (and learning some good lessons in the process)

I wrote a few weeks ago about my adventures in not sitting. Well, here we are three weeks later and I'm still not sitting much. Thankfully I can sit a bit more, but as David said the other day when we were in the car coming home from physical therapy - I'm good for about three miles and that's it.

This has actually been a good exercise. We talk about moving into a country setting and moving to northern Michigan. We don't know for sure yet if that is God's will for us, but it has been an interesting experience for me to get a feel for what it would be like to be home a lot more than I usually am. Before this bout with back problems, I usually went somewhere most days, mostly to just get out of the house for a few minutes. Since we work at home and are home 24/7, sometimes a trip to the neighborhood grocery store is just good for morale. I was never sure how I would handle moving out of the city and not being able to go do things whenever I wanted to. I've discovered I would probably do better than I thought. Partially because I’ve learned there really isn’t all that much I care to do when it comes right down to it and partially because I’ve discovered the joy of internet shopping, catalog shopping and home delivery. I’ve started doing more of it out of necessity and I think I will continue to utilize these options more and more. With the price of gas so high and my time being valuable, spending a few dollars on shipping actually is a great deal.

So I'm learning some good lessons in the midst of all this. But I am looking forward to the week when I can sit down every day for long stretches of time. I've missed my glider rocker these past five months.

No comments: