Thursday, April 28, 2005

Shredded Chicken from the Crockpot

After sharing my basic meatball recipe, I thought I should also share my shredded chicken “recipe”. It isn’t really a recipe but more like a timesaving shortcut.

My motto in the kitchen is cook once, eat at least twice and preferably three or four times!

When boneless, skinless chicken breasts are on sale I buy several packages to make shredded chicken. I clean them and cut them in half. I then layer them with salsa in my crockpot (i.e. put down a layer of chicken pieces, pour salsa on them, put down another layer of chicken pieces, pour salsa on them, etc. until you use up all the chicken and salsa). I then cook it on low for several hours until the chicken is done. I pull all the chicken pieces out and put them on a jelly roll pan so they cool enough to touch. Then I use a fork and shred them while they are still warm. When I have a pan full of shredded chicken, I measure the chicken out in one cup increments and put each cup in its own Ziploc sandwich bag. I throw all the Ziploc bags in a larger Ziploc bag and put the whole thing in the freezer. When I need shredded chicken, I just pull out the right number of cups/baggies.

You can use the shredded chicken in quesadillas, enchiladas, tacos, tortilla soup, etc. – basically anywhere you would want a spicy shredded chicken.

Enjoy!

No comments: