Sunday, April 10, 2005

A Tale of Two Families

My study of the simplicity movement started in 1998 when I was teaching full-time and wanted to be home. Out of my study has evolved a lot of other interests regarding simplicity – margin, overload, consumerism, LBYM (aka Living Beneath Your Means), clutter, calling, downshifting, home businesses, homeschooling, saving money, homesteading, The Great Depression, etc. I really find these topics fascinating. Out of this extensive reading came some significant changes in our own lives.

That being said, my husband knew I would be very interested in this article when he saw it in the paper today. In our paper, it was called “Overextended Families” with the subhead: “The Modern American Household: Strained, In Motion, Child-Dominated, Losing Touch.” The copy I found online on MSNBC is called “Strained Life of the Non-Stop American Family”.

All I can say is – read it and weep (literally). My heart breaks for these children and the hundreds of thousands like them throughout America.

Then for a study in contrast, I recommend this article: “Tasha Tudor’s World”.

No comments: