Sunday, February 27, 2005

One of My Mini-Vacation Books

I mentioned a few days ago that Country is my favorite mini-vacation magazine. Lightposts for Living: The Art of Choosing a Joyful Life by Thomas Kinkade is one of my favorite mini-vacation books.

Lightposts for Living: The Art of Choosing a Joyful Life
In the flyleaf Mr. Kinkade states:

“In my paintings I try to create worlds of tranquility, joy, and beauty. My prayer is that the principles in this book will help each of us lead lives that radiate these same qualities…”

The chapters include ideas such as “Living in the Light of Simplicity”, “Living Close to the Warm Light of Home”, “Living in the Light of Creativity” and “Living in the Light of the Lovely”. Each chapter can stand alone as a refreshing break during the day.

I so appreciate the positive, encouraging stories and anecdotes that Mr. Kinkade shares throughout the book, allowing glimpses into his family life, his marriage and his artistic endeavors. Over and over again he gently reminds the reader that a joyful life is one that must be chosen and that we are blessed with practically unlimited opportunities to make that choice everyday.

Lastly, it is just a lovely book in the physical sense. While it does have samples of his artwork throughout, it is primarily a book to be read, not viewed. Even the font and layout of the book are relaxing and a joy to behold. I have given this book as a gift several times and I highly recommend it to anyone who would welcome a joyful and peaceful respite during their day.

No comments: