Monday, February 14, 2005

Thoughts on Love

The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved - loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves.
Victor Hugo

We ought not to be weary of doing little things for the love of God, who regards not the greatness of the work, but the love with which it is performed.
Brother Lawrence

A man and woman in love have a gift of sight not granted to other people.
"The Enchanted Cottage"

It is not that we keep His commandments first, and that then He loves; but that He loves us, and then we keep His commandments. This is that grace, which is revealed to the humble, but hidden from the proud.
St. Augustine

Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get – only with what you are expecting to give – which is everything.
Katherine Hepburn

The secret of Christian quietness is not indifference, but the knowledge that God is my Father, He loves me, I shall never think of anything He will forget, and worry becomes an impossibility.
Oswald Chambers

It is not after we were reconciled by the blood of his Son that God began to love us, but before the foundation of the world.
John Calvin

Give a little love to a child, and you get a great deal back.
John Ruskin

When I stand before the throne
Dressed in beauty not my own,
When I see thee as Thou art,
Love Thee with unsinning heart,
Then, Lord, shall I fully know
Not till then, how much I owe.
R. M. McCheyne

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting site Sallie. Jeff and I send each other love quotes every day in our e-mails. Here's a few of my favorites from him:

-"I will love you forever and a day, and if forever takes a lifetime, then I promise to be there at the end to greet you with open arms. Then we will finally have all the dreams we have ever dreamt about, become a reality."
Author Unknown

-"You were standing there, holding out your heart for all to see, and in that instant, I knew I loved you."
Author Unknown

-"To love someone deeply gives you strenght. Being loved by someone deeply gives you courage."
Lao-Tzu

Sallie Borrink said...

Jolene,

Thanks for sharing those quotes! I especially appreciate the third one. So true!

Sallie