Monday, February 14, 2005

Philippians 4:8ish

I received a nice note from a friend today after he visited here for the first time. Brian said, “What a great… wholesome, blog! I’m reminded of ‘Whatever is good, lovely, excellent…’”

Well, that was a great encouragement to me and an indication I am on the right track. I thought long and hard about the content of this blog before I got started. David and I had actually been working on a website for me for the past couple of years. We would do a lot of work on it, and then put it aside. I was never happy with the direction it was heading, but couldn’t put my finger on why. I felt that God was definitely restraining me from going live with it, but again I wasn’t sure why. Today it all came together for me.

I enjoy surfing and there is a lot of interesting and helpful information on the web. I am thankful for the folks who put out good stuff. But it seems like so many of the Christian sites and blogs are places where people have an ax to grind and want to go over every doctrine and trend with a fine toothed comb. Now they grind it in varying degrees, but as The Preacher said, “much study wearies the body” (Ecclesiastes 12:12). I would guess that a lot of these folks probably have the spiritual gifts of discernment, exhortation, prophecy (depending on how you define that gift), etc. So it is their natural bent to point out everything that is wrong with the church, everything that is wrong with the culture, etc. And I guess there is a need for that. Well, no guessing about it – there IS a need for that!

Even though I have some of those same gifts, I didn’t want this blog to be like that. I’m not interested in debating and arguing with whoever comes to my blog and wants to get a rise out of me. I truly feel that there are enough of those kinds of blogs and websites out there already. I’m sure from time to time I will reference them and give a link to topics that I find particularly interesting. I will probably also write about “hot” topics that are of interest to me and maybe hope to offer some perspective. But that will not be the focus of this blog.

So if you are looking for something wholesome, encouraging, uplifting and Philippians 4:8ish, please make a bookmark and come back often. I’ll do my best to bring a little light and joy into all our worlds each day.

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable – if anything is excellent or praiseworthy – think about such things.
Philippians 4:8

You become what you gaze on.
Erwin Lutzer

1 comment:

PezKat said...

Great post, great thoughts! I definitely agree. I put mine up without specific goals, but am developing a direction, at least, just based on my interests/passions. A main one of which is finding God in the 'secular' things in life. Which is easy, as long as you look. But that's kind of the opposite of many approaches, which I believe then alienate the people with whom we should be building, not burning, bridges. Plus I think it's fun. :)

Another passion of mine is sharing resources, and since you're a writer I have a question for you: how much of a book (or mag. article, or song) can you legally/ethically quote? As long as you give credit? I mean a blog entry isn't exactly a "review," but...?